Thursday 8 June 2017

Installing Ubuntu Server - Your installation CD-ROM couldn’t be mounted

I was seeing this issue today: -

Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again.

Retry mounting the CD-ROM?

whilst trying to install a new Ubuntu 17.04 box.

I'd downloaded Ubuntu from here: -


which resulted in a 685 MB ISO image: -

-rw-r--r--@  1 davidhay  staff  718274560  8 Jun 07:12 ubuntu-17.04-server-amd64.iso

which I "ripped" to a handy USB3-capable hard drive: -

sudo dd if=/Volumes/DaveHaySSD/Software/Ubuntu/ubuntu-17.04-server-amd64.iso of=/dev/disk3 bs=1m

Password:
685+0 records in
685+0 records out
718274560 bytes transferred in 22.509606 secs (31909690 bytes/sec)


This AskUbuntu post: -


had the answer ( of course !! ).

For some strange reason, Ubuntu doesn't seem to like installing from a USB drive, and seems to expect a physical CD-ROM ( I know, right ? ).

The solution is to fool the installer: -

(1) Use [Alt][F2] to open a command-line ( it's BusyBox which I've seen many times before )
(2) Mount the USB disk as though it were the CD-ROM - mount /dev/sdb /cdrom
(3) Use [Alt][F1] to return to the GUI installer
(4) Choose Detect and mount CD-ROM

And off we go ….


No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...