Wednesday 6 April 2016

Book Review - The Purpose of Change is Problem Solving

This is the latest in my series of relatively infrequent book reviews for the British Computer Society: -

I chose this book mainly based upon the title, to which I related as an
inveterate solver of problems.

Whilst the book is absolutely about problem solving, it wasn't quite
what I expected. In this book, the author, Janos Korn, digs deeply into
the use of language, including semantics, natural language and
structure.

Thus I found the book to be of somewhat limited relevance to my
day-to-day work as an engineer, IT consultant, problem solver etc.

By this, I don't mean to imply that the book isn't likely to be of use
to many others, I found the language, repeated and multiple references
and, most importantly, the format to be of limited interest.

With specific regard to formatting, I'd have preferred the book to make
more use of indentation and punctuation, as it was hard to separate the
paragraphs from the examples.

So, in summary, whilst this is obviously an extremely well-written and
deeply researched publication, I found it to be a somewhat arduous and
less-than-relevant read.

Given that I obviously failed to understand the purpose and target
audience of this book, I cannot find major fault with the publication
itself, but, in terms of relevance to me, the reader, I'd give it 6/10.


For the record, I was kindly provided this book by BCS, at no cost to myself.

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...