Thursday 29 November 2012

DB2 UDB and Linux - Start Me Up - AGAIN

In this article, I run through the steps that I took to allow a DB2 UDB 9.7 instance to auto-start on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3.

So I've blogged about DB2 autostart on a number of occasions, including: -


but I've just gone back through the steps again, having re-read my earlier posts, and also this IBM Technote: -


and this is precisely what I did: -

As root

$ cd /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/bin/
./db2fmcu -u -p /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/bin/db2fmcd 
$ ./db2fm -i db2inst1 -U
$ ./db2fm -i db2inst1 -u
$ ./db2fm -i db2inst1 -f on

As db2inst1

db2fm -s -S

which returns: -

Gcf module 'fault monitor' is NOT operable 
Gcf module '/home/instance_name/sqllib/lib/libdb2gcf.so' state is AVAILABLE

As root

$ reboot

As db2inst1

$ db2fm -s -S

which returns: -

Gcf module 'fault monitor' state is AVAILABLE
Gcf module '/opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/lib64/libdb2gcf.so' state is AVAILABLE

It took about 30 seconds for DB2 to start up, following the reboot, and I was a little impatient :-)

However, the database DID come up :-)

It's worth noting that, until I ran the command: -

./db2fmcu -u -p /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/bin/db2fmcd 

I did not have the required DB2 Fault Monitor Command file - /etc/init/db2fmcd.conf - this file simply did not exist, and there was no mention of DB2FM in /etc/inittab, which has been deprecated in Red Hat 6.

However, once I ran this command ( as root, as above ), the file was created, with the following contents: -

$ cat /etc/init/db2fmcd.conf 

# DB2 fault monitor 
# Starts fmcd
# Note: any customizations to this file will be lost the next time this is updated

description 'Fault Monitor is the DB2 database facility that monitors DB2 database manager instances, and restarting any instance that exits permaturely.'
version 'DB2 v9.7.0.5'

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
stop on starting rc RUNLEVEL=[016]

console output
respawn
respawn limit 10 120

exec /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/bin/db2fmcd


and, unsurprisingly, the target db2fmcd binary also exists: -

$ ls -al /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/bin/db2fmcd

-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 145964 Nov 19 12:26 /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/bin/db2fmcd

For the record, I'm running DB2 9.7.0.5: -

$ /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7/bin/db2level 

DB21085I  Instance "db2inst1" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09075" 
with level identifier "08060107".
Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.7.0.5", "s111017", "IP23292", and Fix Pack 
"5".
Product is installed at "/opt/ibm/db2/V9.7".


on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3: -

$ cat /etc/redhat-release 

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago)

2 comments:

Bruno Cormack said...

dude, you saved my life!

Dave Hay said...

Hi Bruno, thanks for the kind feedback. Best wishes, Dave

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...