Tuesday 28 August 2012

Ubuntu Linux - Failure to Launch

I hit an issue with a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 earlier today - having booted, and installed, from a DVD containing a Live CD, I expected my PC to happily reboot, once I'd removed the DVD and pressed [Enter].

Sadly, it booted as far as a black screen, with a flashing cursor :-( I tried a number of times, but to no avail.

I re-booted from the Live CD, and checked that the disk looked good, using the Ubuntu Disk Utility tool ( sweetly named palimpsest ) and also checked the partition layout, using another tool - partitionmanager.

All looked fine, so I jumped onto the Mac for a spot of Googling.

Using the search terms "ubuntu 12.04 boot loader", I hit upon this blog post: -


which led me to believe that the Grub boot loader might be at fault.

The author, Josh B, had a clear set of instructions that applied to me, having booted from the Live CD: -

If you just have the Ubuntu Live CD try these steps:

• Boot from Live CD
• Open a terminal from the Live CD, and run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair
boot-repair

• Follow the Recommended Repair option. Press "Advanced" to check what it will do.

• The stressful bit. Now reboot and you will be able to use Grub.

I did as advised and, upon reboot, was back in the game.

Am now happily using 12.04 ( Precise Pangolin ) without any further woes :-)

Thanks, Josh :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...