Wednesday 14 March 2012

Using Oracle VM VirtualBox to run Linux on Linux ....

Following on from my previous thread, I wanted to install the VirtualBox equivalent of VMware Tools, which Oracle call VBox Additions.

This requires one to mount a virtual CD image - VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.8_75467.

From this, one executes a binary: -

$ ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

This immediately failed: -

Building the main Guest Additions module [FAILED]
[Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong]

To cut a long story short, I was missing the Linux development tools, including gcc, make and the Kernel development tools.

I fixed this as follows: -

$ sudo yum install gcc
$ sudo yum install make
$ sudo yum install kernel-devel-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64

Once I did this, the VBox Additions installed nicely, and I'm back in the game ...

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...