Friday 8 October 2010

Problems editing Gnome 2.30.2 menus on Ubuntu 10.04

Having performed many many installations of various WebSphere products since I first installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my new Thinkpad back in June, I had a plethora of IBM WebSphere menus appearing in the Applications menu that, for me, sits in the top-left corner of the screen, flagged with the Ubuntu logo.

I'd tried, and failed, to remove these entries many many times - I'd right-click on Applications, and choose Edit Menus.

This would bring up the appropriate tool ( cleverly called Alacarte - A La Carte ), which would show all of the entries, but I'd be unable to edit them.

If I ran the alacarte command as root ( having previously run sudo bash ), I could see the entries for the root user, but not for my own local user - hayd.

I then ran the alacarte command from a terminal session, as hayd, and noticed that, when I tried to change a menu entry, I was getting: -

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/hayd/.config/menus/applications.menu.undo-0'

Therefore, via my root console, I changed the ownership of the appropriate directory structure: -

chown -R hayd:hayd /home/hayd/.config/

and retried the update using alacarte and I'm in like Flynn, with a nice neat set of menus :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...